Here’s a collection of facts, laws and useful tips that will help you get the most out of your trip.


Documents… A valid driver’s licence from any country is good in Ontario for 3 months. If you’re driving across the border, bring the vehicle registration forms and a free Canadian Non-Resident Insurance Card from your insurance agent, or the policy itself. Minimum liability insurance in Ontario is $200,000. If you’re driving a borrowed car, also bring a letter of permission signed by the owner. If you’re driving a rented car, include a copy of the rental contract.

For full automobile regulations visit Transport Canada.


Via Rail links most of the major cities in the province and connects with Amtrak and other U.S. rail lines at many border crossings.

Northern Ontario offers scenic excursions… The Algoma Central Railway offers a tour of the Agawa Canyon north of Sault Ste. Marie. The Ontario Northland Railway will take you from Cochrane to the coast of James Bay on the Polar Bear Express. For details, contact your travel agent.


Easy Accessibility… The north is easily accessible by air. Convenient connections can be made to the north from Toronto. Once in the north a network of regional carriers can take you to small centres. For more information call your travel agent.

Fly-In Services… The person who hires his own plane and pilot takes the crow’s flight route to where all the action is. A pontoon-equipped plane can get you from city or town to the surface of a wilderness lake, where your hosts at the fly-in camp will have your guides and boats all ready to go. And if there is no scheduled commercial flight to take you from one area to another, when the spirit moves you, there are many charter services easily available.

Restricted Carriers… Many camps and lodges operate a restricted carrier float plane service to shuttle guests between the resort and a fixed jumping-off point, but the pilot is not licensed to roam the skies at will.


Pleasure craft may enter Canada by trailer or under their own power. The required entry permit is issued by Customs at the point-of-entry. All boats powered by motors 7.5 kw (10HP) or over must be licensed and the licence number clearly indicated on both sides of the bow of the vessel. Boat licences from outside Ontario are acceptable. Overboard discharge of garbage or untreated sewage is forbidden.