REGISTRATIONS NOW OPEN!
Destination Northern Ontario, Nature and Outdoor Tourism Ontario, the Ontario Tourism Education Corporation, Ontario Employment Service Providers and Northern Ontario Workforce Planning Boards have collaborated to launch another successful year of Tourism SkillsNet North – an initiative developed to identify workforce labour gaps specific to Northern Ontario.
This year, Tourism SkillsNet North will identify and train up to 200 potential employees and match them with available job opportunities within Northern Ontario’s tourism sector.
Participants will gain access to free industry relevant training (value of $1000+), while participating employers receive a wage subsidy of 50% (maximum amount varies*) per employee, conditional on the completion of the mandatory training courses by the employees.
Qualified employers will be eligible for a 50% wage subsidy up to:
- Seasonal employer (new TSNN employee): $3,000
- Seasonal employer or year-round employer (returning TSNN employee): $2,500
- Year-round employer (new TSNN employee): $5,000
There are some very important changes to note so please be sure to read the content of this newsletter carefully!
BUSINESS ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
The following tourism and hospitality businesses are eligible to participate in TSNN:
- Accommodation (B&B, Hotel, Motel, Lodge, Campground etc.)
- Adventure Outfitter (ATV, Camping, Canoe/Kayaking, Horseback Riding, Dog Sledding etc.)
- Fishing/Hunting Outfitter
- Restaurant/Culinary Establishment
- Activity Based (Hiking, Interpretive Program, Wildlife Viewing, Cross Country Skiing, Downhill Skiing etc.)
- Service (Air Service, Marina Boat/Launch, Meeting Facility, Wedding Service)
- Cultural Attraction (Heritage Site, Museum, Art Gallery).
In order to be eligible to participate in the program, your business must:
- Be located in Northern Ontario (RTO 13)
- Be able to provide NOTO with adequate payroll records for the wage subsidy
IMPORTANT NOTE: Although TSNN is stackable with other wage subsidy programs, it is recommended that you verify the terms and conditions of any funding you may be receiving from other Federal or Provincial programs to ensure they are stackable as well.
JOB SEEKER & EMPLOYEE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Willing to travel/move to Northern Ontario if applying from outside the region
- For pre-matched employees and re-hires, the employee(s) start date must be on or after April 1, 2023
IMPORANT NOTE: Individuals who are related to the employer are not eligible for the wage subsidy.
WAGE SUBSIDY INFORMATION
To support as many businesses as possible, the following conditions have been established:
- Each organization is eligible to receive wage subsidies for up to a maximum of 10 employees for the program.
- The wage subsidies are prioritized on a first come first served basis, based on the completion of training.
The following wage subsidy amounts have been established:
- Seasonal businesses hiring a new TSNN participant: 50% up to a max of $3,000
- Seasonal or year-round business hiring a returning TSNN participant: 50% up to a max of $2,500
- Year-round business hiring a new TSNN participant: 50% up to a max of $5,000
INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING IN THE PROGRAM?
Please click here to access the registration forms. If you have recently hired employees and you would like to have them register for the training in order to receive the wage subsidy, please ensure they meet the eligibility criteria listed above and have them complete the participant registration form.