Fuel Education and Safety


Several different types of fuels are used daily for transportation, heating, cooking, and so much more. These fuels include natural gas, propane, butane, gasoline, and diesel.  The Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) regulates the transportation, storage, handling and use of these fuels in Ontario.


TSSA issues licenses to fuel facilities, registers contractors and certifies tradespeople who install and service equipment. They also perform equipment approvals and conduct inspections to ensure safe handling and use of fuel.

The Fuels Safety Program ensures that all fuels are used, handled, transported and stored in accordance with the Technical Standards and Safety Act, and other applicable regulations, codes and standards.


Private Fuel Outlets (PFO)

A private fuel outlet refers to any premise where gasoline or an associated product is put into fuel tanks of motor vehicles or into portable containers. This definition excludes retail outlets, marinas and bulk plants. Several tourist operators have fuel tanks that are considered PFOs.

PFOs include campgrounds, rental cottages, or fishing camps where fuel is provided as part of the rental agreement for boats, ATVs, or snowmobiles.

TSSA regulates PFOs under O. Reg. 217/01. This allows TSSA to conduct design reviews and inspections to ensure that all fuel safety regulations are met, as they apply to handling fuel on PFO sites as well.

Typical inspections include a full inspection of fuel storage and dispensing equipment (tanks, sumps, lines, pumps, etc.), a review of maintenance records, logs, and standard operating procedures, a review of attendance responsibilities, records of various test results (dip tests, pressure and leak tests, etc.), and a review of staff training.

Click here for tips on how to prepare for an inspection.  


Fuel Safety Tips

For additional safety tips, visit the Canadian Center for Occupational Health and Safety website.


Reporting and Incident

Under provincial regulations, any spills of pollutants must immediately be reported to the Ontario’s Spill Action Center. Once you have reported the spill to the Spills Action Center, you must report to your local municipality, and the owner &/or person in control of the substance.

The Spill Action Center is available 24/7 at the following numbers:


The following items are what you can expect from the Spill Action Center:

You will be asked to report:


An Environmental Officer will:


Additional information on regulatory spill reporting (Ontario Regulation 675/98), clean-up, environmental remediation, and spill cost recovery can be seen on the Ontario’s Spill Action Center page.


The following presentation was given by McDougall Energy and contains some very useful information about petroleum safety: Important Fuel Storage Information


NOTO 386 Algonquin Avenue, North Bay, ON P1B 4W3 • T 705.472.5552 • F 705.472.0621 • info@noto.net
Website designed by Sofa Communications