Work Permit

Applying For a Work Permit

Non-resident camp owners must apply for a work permit before coming to Canada. You can access the Employer Portal to apply for your work permit here:

To learn more about the Work Permit process, click here. 


Helpful Tips:  Border Crossing Binder Contents for US Camp Owners

The following is a list of documents that are expected to  be reviewed by Immigration Officers upon entry to Canada annually prior to obtaining your work permit.

  • Compliance fee receipt with A# written on it
  • Share certificate
  • Certificate of Incorporation
  • Wire transfer for our funds to sellers attorney
  • Deed for the property
  • Signed purchase agreement or release from seller
  • A financial statement from your accountant (showing balance sheet, retained earnings, statement of income, cashflows) (From the previous owner if first year as new owner)
  • T4’s from previous year employees
  • 10 to 15 invoices showing purchases to Canadian vendors
  • Tax bill
  • MNRF land use permits
  • Commercial Bait license
  • Tax Return
  • NOTO support letter
  • Printout of all expenses (from computer accounting program)

Recommendation: Use colored but clear dividers in a ring binders and label tabs for each group of paperwork to go into.

Suggested Tab Labels:

  • Deed/Purchase Papers
  • Financial Statement
  • T4s
  • Invoices
  • Legal (other business permits/papers
  • Tax Return
  • NOTO
  • Transactions

These are recommendations based on the experiences of other US Camp owners who have been kind enough to share this information with NOTO. We are passing it on to you in hopes that it will be helpful.