Here's a collection of facts, laws and useful tips that will help you get the most out of your trip.


Documents... A valid driver's licence from any country is good in Ontario for 3 months. If you're driving across the border, bring the vehicle registration forms and a free Canadian Non-Resident Insurance Card from your insurance agent, or the policy itself. Minimum liability insurance in Ontario is $200,000. If you're driving a borrowed car, also bring a letter of permission signed by the owner. If you're driving a rented car, include a copy of the rental contract.

Services...The Ontario Provincial Police (O.P.P.) are responsible for the highways and other areas including the inland lakes and waterways not served by municipal police forces. First aid stations are clearly posted along the highways. Information on the condition of any highway in the province is available all year from the Ministry of Transportation's regional toll-free numbers listed on the Ontario Official Road Map or by calling 1-800- 268-4686.

Restrictions...Ontario law requires every person in a motor vehicle must wear a seat belt or use a child safety seat. Booster seats are required for children under the age of eight, weighing 18 kg or more but less than 36 kg (40-80 lbs) and who stands less than 145 cm (4 feet 9 inches) tall.

A child can start using a seat belt alone once any of the following criteria is met:

Infants under 9 kg (20 lbs) must be secured in a rear-facing infant care seat. Toddlers 9-18 kg (20 - 40 lbs) who are about a year old and can also pull themselves unassisted to a standing position should travel in a forward-facing child care seat secured by both a seat belt (or LATCH/UAS system) and a tether strap, attached to an anchor bolted into the vehicle's frame.

Windshields and side-front windows must allow a clear view of the vehicle's interior.


It is illegal for drivers to talk, text, dial or email using hand-held cell phones and other hand-held communication and entertainment devices while driving. Using these devices in a hands-free manner is permitted. Fines will be issued for this type of offense. 

For more information go to this link: DISTRACTED DRIVING


Radar Warning Devices... The use or transport of radar detection devices is illegal. Ontario police may confiscate such devices, and fine you as well.

Car Rentals... Automobile rentals are available at our international airports and in many of our towns and cities. The minimum age varies from 21 to 25. Most companies require a credit card to rent a vehicle.


Via Rail links most of the major cities in the province and connects with Amtrak and other U.S. rail lines at many border crossings.

Northern Ontario offers scenic excursions... The Algoma Central Railway offers a tour of the Agawa Canyon north of Sault Ste. Marie. The Ontario Northland Railway will take you from Cochrane to the coast of James Bay on the Polar Bear Express. For details, contact your travel agent.


Easy Accessibility... The north is easily accessible by air. Convenient connections can be made to the north from Toronto. Once in the north a network of regional carriers can take you to small centres. For more information call your travel agent.

FLY-IN SERVICES... The person who hires his own plane and pilot takes the crow's flight route to where all the action is. A pontoon-equipped plane can get you from city or town to the surface of a wilderness lake, where your hosts at the fly-in camp will have your guides and boats all ready to go. And if there is no scheduled commercial flight to take you from one area to another, when the spirit moves you, there are many charter services easily available. Your travel agent can arrange a whole fly-in package for you, in advance, or you can contact the people listed in this directory.

RESTRICTED CARRIERS... Many camps and lodges operate a restricted carrier float plane service to shuttle guests between the resort and a fixed jumping-off point, but the pilot is not licensed to roam the skies at will.


Pleasure craft may enter Canada by trailer or under their own power. The required entry permit is issued by Customs at the point-of-entry. All boats powered by motors 7.5 kw (10HP) or over must be licensed and the licence number clearly indicated on both sides of the bow of the vessel. Boat licences from outside Ontario are acceptable. Overboard discharge of garbage or untreated sewage is forbidden.


NOTO 386 Algonquin Avenue, North Bay, ON P1B 4W3 • T 705.472.5552 • F 705.472.0621 •
Website designed by Sofa Communications