Passport application now available at All-Canada Show


For the first time, the United States Postal Service (USPS) will be accepting passport applications at the All-Canada Show in almost all markets. Passport photographs will also be taken. This is a terrific opportunity for your U.S. guests to acquire a passport.The U.S. Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by Jan. 1, 2008, travelers to and from Canada, Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama and Mexico by land must have a passport to enter or re-enter the United States.If traveling by air or sea a passport will be required as of Jan. 1, 2007. To apply at the All-Canada Show, your guests need to bring a certified birth certificate (needs a raised, embossed, highlighted or multi-coloured seal) from county or state government (not a hospital document), and a current, valid driver's license. A Government ID, State ID or military ID may be used for those who do not have a driver’s license. For a list of markets where the USPS will be accepting passport applications, log on to

“It makes perfect sense for Americans to get a United States passport for their Canadian travels,” says Jennifer Young, All-Canada Show president, “because it simplifies entry into and out of Canada, and having a passport will be handy any other time they leave or enter the U.S”.

In the post 9/11 world,all countries are working to secure their borders by positively identifying everyone upon entry. The easiest way to do this is with passports.

A passport is an internationally recognized travel document verifying the identity and nationality of the bearer.A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave most foreign countries. Currently, a birth certificate and valid drivers license are all that is required to travel within the Western Hemisphere (Canada, Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama and Mexico).

This procedure is scheduled to change Jan. 1, 2008 for land entry and Jan. 1, 2007 for air and sea entry into the U.S. On those dates, it will be required by the United States Government that everyone (even its citizens) entering the United States be required to show a valid passport.

Passport fees are in the $100 range and a passport is good for 10-years.Only the U.S.Department of State has the authority to grant,issue or verify United States passports.The Department of State designates the United States Postal Service to accept passport applications on its behalf.

Your American guests must apply in person if:they are applying for a U.S. passport for the first time; if they have a expired U.S. passport not in their possession; if their previous U.S. passport has expired and was issued more than 15 years ago; if their previous U.S. passport was issued when they were under 16;or if their currently-valid U.S. passport has been lost of stolen.

Both parents must be present for a minor to obtain a passport unless the minor has a notarized written consent from the unavailable parent. If no ID is available,both parents can vouch for the minor’s identity (Form DS 3053 - The Statement of Consent or Special Circumstances is available from the Department of State website).

The US Postal Service will take passport photographs right at the All-Canada Show. The fee for this service is $15.Your guest can plan bring their own photographs, but they must meet the following requirements: Two identical color photos,2x2 inches in size, taken within the past 6 months, and showing current appearance. Photos must be full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background. Image must be between 1-inch and 1-3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head. Photo should be taken in normal street attire. Uniforms should not be worn in photographs except religious attire that is worn daily. Do not wear a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline. If they normally wear prescription glasses, a hearing device, wig or similar articles, they should be worn for a passport photo.

For further information on obtaining U.S. passports, accessing forms or finding a list of places that accept passport applications, go to the US Department of State website at:

For passports for children under 14 years of age go to: 834.html

To find out more information on obtaining a birth certificate go to:

Editorial Note: The original link to the website was changed to reflect reorganized content

This article was taken from page 8 of NOTO's "The Outfitter" publication, Winter 2005 Issue


NOTO 386 Algonquin Avenue, North Bay, ON P1B 4W3 • T 705.472.5552 • F 705.472.0621 •
Website designed by Sofa Communications